Thursday, July 3, 2008

King of Spain

It's a little late - I havn't had much time to post lately - but I have to give props to the Spanish national team for their victory in Euro 2008. Ever since Rafa Benitez began the Spanish revolution at Liverpool FC, I've supported Spain in international competition. Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty patriotic, but soccer in America is pathetic. I usually support England as well, but they spectacularly failed to qualify for this last tournament.

It's too bad. This has largely been recognized as the best tournament in many years, and I would've been very interested to see how Engurland's finest stack up against the best in Europe. Fernando Torres, who has haunted the nightmares of English Premier League defenders since his debut season, had an average tournament...until the final. A tally of only 2 goals is not all that impressive for a striker of Torres' stature, but the last goal he scored in Euro 2008 was a typical El Nino strike:

Torres' best asset is his speed and ability to make something happen out of nothing, and this is a prime example. I can wait to see how he performs for the Reds next season!

No comments: