Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rick Warren Goes to Washington

Okay, so it's more like Washington comes to Rick Warren, but you get the idea. I wrote a while back about the two presidential candidates' upcoming appearance at Saddleback. In that post, I wondered whether Rick Warren would have the courage to ask difficult questions of the two candidates, especially concerning Obama's stance on abortion. Well, it looks like I'm not the only one wondering about these things.

Hunter has posted an open letter to Rick Warren over at Redstate, challenging him to force Obama to explain his support for partial birth abortions, his efforts to defeat the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, and his support for abortion on demand in general. I realize that the Saddleback forum is supposed to focus on other things like poverty and HIV/AIDS, issues that Warren has been championing within the church for years. But I would have to argue that the issue of infant murder within our own nation is of more importance right now.

In fact, as I pointed out in my previous post, Rick Warren openly encouraged pastors and other leaders to support President Bush in 2004 for this and other reasons. I'm a little confused as to why he doesn't seem to be taking the same stand in this election.

Of course, I'd also love to see Pastor Warren challenge Obama on his embrace of liberal theology and the social gospel, asking questions that would reveal his selective affinity for the red letters over those other inconvenient "obscure passages", but that would probably be asking too much.

3 comments:

Charles said...

I agree with you about abortion, but this is not a debate-format to get into that -- if it were, Obama would never have agreed to appear -- hopefully, Obama trips up as he tries to reach out to evangelical voters.

Red said...

Fair enough. I realize that Warren had to promise no "gotcha" questions in order to get the guy to show. I'm just concerned that this could end up painting Obama in a positive light for a lot of evangelicals if he isn't forced to defend his anti-biblical views. If that's the case, it could do a lot of damage to causes that should be important to the church.

Charles said...

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.