Monday, May 12, 2008

Evangelicals and the GOP

I thought this might make for a nice introductory post for my new blog. It seems that a certain branch of the GOP base may still harbor some resentment over the results of our primary:


"An element of the Christian community is not reconciled to McCain's candidacy but instead regards the prospective presidency of Barack Obama in the nature of a Biblical plague visited upon a sinful people. These militants look at former Baptist preacher Huckabee as "God's candidate" running for president in 2012. Whether they can be written off as merely a troublesome fringe group depends on Huckabee's course."


Now I'm no fan of Mike Huckabee*, but I have to say that if this ends up hurting the GOP in the November election, some within the establishment will have had it coming. The disdain for those of us who hold to the traditional Christian faith, and our past and future role in the party we helped propel into the majority, was widely evident among many of conservatism's most established names and publications. Much was written about this at the time, and most of us have since moved on, but it seems that there is a faction of hardcore former supporters who have resigned themselves to a necessary time in the wilderness. I would never advocate such a course, and though I am not necessarily excited about McCain as our nominee, I will support him fully as the infinitely superior alternative to either Democrat.

*While I can certainly understand Huckabee's appeal to fellow evangelicals, I consider myself to be an "across-the-board" conservative, and Huckabee's policy and rhetoric on fiscal issues seriously bothered me. The spin from his supporters never managed to convince me over his tax record as governor; and his populist ideas about using government to regulate CEO salaries, among other things, pretty much ended any ideas I had about supporting him early on.

No comments: